Transferring Your Domain Names
Not satisfied with your current registrar’s offering? Blacknight are happy to assist you in moving your domain to our services.
For other domains, please use our store.
The methods of transfer for .ie, .com and .uk domains do vary; please take a moment to look over the below instructions. We would recommend paying particular attention to the Domain Transfer Notes at the bottom of this page.
Firstly, it is important to be aware that the transfer of domains can take some time to fully complete. Blacknight cannot be held responsible for delays in transfers due to errors made by third parties.
- .ie domains will typically transfer within two working days, so long as the appropriate documentation is provided.
- .com domain transfers can take up to 7 days in some cases; please ensure that you have allowed for this when transferring a domain that is due for renewal. We urge you to initiate transfers as far in advance as possible; expired domains cannot be transferred.
- .co.uk domains will usually transfer within one day, however you should allow up to 7 days.
- There are two types of .eu domain transfer. One is a simple transfer, while the other is a trade. Most .eu domain transfers complete within one or two working days
Please note that ‘transferring a domain’ means moving the billing of a domain ONLY.
This does not transfer your email accounts or website content, or automatically update the DNS.
For more information, please read our Guide to Moving Hosting Provider.
Transferring a .ie domain
- Place your order online using our order form.
- Ensure that payment is completed.
- Fax (or scan and email) a signed letter on your headed paper authorising the transfer of your .ie domain to Blacknight. Please be aware that these letters cannot be accepted if they are not signed, and they must be legible. Our fax number is +353 (0)59 9164239
Your letter should take the following format:
I, <ADMIN CONTACT>, hereby authorise the transfer of <MYDOMAIN.IE> to AAE553-IEDR with immediate effect.
This letter must be signed by the listed admin contact for the domain. If the admin contact is no longer with the company, the template should be altered to include this statement:
The listed admin contact <ADMIN CONTACT> is no longer working at this company. I am now responsible for this matter.
Your domain will not point to Blacknight’s nameservers automatically; the above transfer process will change your domain’s billing only. To update the DNS (Domain Name Servers), please see the following article on our knowledge base.
Please note that, as per the IE Domain Registry’s Transfer Policy, newly registered .ie domains cannot be transferred until the initial payment for registration has been made by the original registrar.
I’ve read the instructions, please transfer my domain!
Transferring .com/.net/.org/.info/.biz/.mobi/.tv domains
In order to avoid any issues, please ensure that you initiate the transfer as far in advance as possible. Blacknight recommend transferring your domain at least a month prior to the renewal date.
You will first need to ensure that your domain’s listed details are correct, in particular the email address. You must have access to the domain’s admin contact email address to complete the transfer.
- Contact your current provider. If you do not have access to the email address associated with the domain you wish to transfer, you will need to update this. You will then need to request that they unlock the domain for transfer and provide you with an “authorisation key” or “EPP code”.
- Complete you order through the box below.
- Please ensure that you check the email address for the domain daily (including your Junk Mail folder). Blacknight’s registrar will send an email to this address to verify the transfer request; you must respond to this.
- If you have any queries or concerns regarding the progress of your transfer, please do not hesitate to contact Blacknight’s email@example.com.
If you are moving from an ISP such as Eircom, Esat or UTV, please ensure that any billing issues are resolved with the ISP before you request the transfer, as this can result in delays. The larger Irish ISPs and hosting companies will respect requests for domain transfers to other companies provided that no such issues exist.
In the case of domains registered through Joker, you will need to initiate the transfer process from within the Joker control panel.
Important note: Domains cannot be transferred between registrars until the domain is 60 days old.
I’ve read the instructions, please transfer my domain!
Transferring .co.uk domains
- Contact your current hosting company, requesting that they change the current Registrant's Agent Tag (IPS Tag) to ours: BLACKNIGHT-IE. Generally this will go through without any issue, however if it does not, due to inactivity or unwillingness on behalf of your current hosting provider, you can request that Nominet initiate the change for you.
- Once the tag has been changed to us, you can update your nameservers via your Control Panel. You will receive a confirmation email once the domain is transferred/completed.
Note: If you have also purchased a hosting package and are transferring your existing website, please refer to our notes on domain migration
Transferring .eu domains
Please note: If you are making significant changes to the domain holder contact details EURid will consider this to be a "trade".
EU domain transfers DO NOT add a year to the registration period. The registration period of one year is reset when the transfer completes.
Domain transfer notes
Please be aware that different hosting providers may have different directory structures, so your website code may require some modification to work after the transfer.
- Most databases can be easily transferred from your old hosting provider to us, but we will have to change the database details, including the database name, the usernames & the passwords. As such, modifications will have to be made to your website's code.
- The migration of website files and data from an existing hosting provider to Blacknight is the sole responsibility of the client. We can however supply our professional services for this purpose and our Sales Team will happily provide a quote for this.
- We highly recommend an appropriate testing period after you have transferred a domain to us.
- Be Aware that the transfer of domains can take some time to fully complete.
- .ie domains typically transfer within 48 hours.
- .com domains can take up to 7 days in some cases
- .co.uk can take a little as one day to transfer, but you should allow up to 7 days.
- You cannot transfer com/net/org/info/biz domains until they are 60 days old.
- Blacknight Solutions cannot be held responsible for delays in transfers due to errors made by third parties